Brightening Life with Creativity,
one day at a time...
Welcome back! :)
Are you ready to see how it all came together?
In my previous post, I told you that I used another piece of Sulky Cut-Away Plus for the backing and sewed everything right sides together and then turned it. The picture on the left shows the slit I made in the backing to do that, leaving nice, clean edges for the front.
In the middle and right pictures, you will see the "piece of paper" I monoprinted as the main design element of the piece. See how there are no lines on the back and that it is still white? All printed!
Backing up a few steps, now you can see how I wanted to integrate the "paper" into the design. The picture on the right shows the weaving sewn down by machine, catching the "paper" to secure it as well.
I decided to paint the mounting canvas a reddish-brown to compliment the other tones.
So the assembly is nearly complete!
The multiple layers of stabilizer and the canvas did make the stitching
a little slow-going, but it was worth it.
Are you ready to see the front? :)
So what do you think?
After getting it all together, it still needed something else.
I found the Korean character for tea,
made my own stamp and printed it on the
tea-stained remnants of stabilizer.
I used the stem stitch to enhance the outline and to secure it to the piece.
You may remember that this was for a juried show. I shared the call for entry with my son who is going into graphic design and this is what he came up with:
Same call for entry, but isn't amazing how different the two pieces are?
He chose to focus on the multi-ethnicity of tea. I love the cup he sculpted
out of air-dry clay! You can see more of his work here.
I'll let you know if either or both of us are accepted into the exhibit!
It's been a LONG time since I have played with watercolors! My husband has dropped little tidbits of encouragement over the years to try my hand at painting, but I have been hesitant. Until now...
A few weeks ago I found my Christmas stocking stuffed with watercolors, brushes, and a watercolor journal. I decided to give it a try a few days ago and the Corn Cockle flower on the left is the result. I still need lots and lots of practice, but I'm looking forward to it!
The next day, I looked at the journal page and I started thinking that there was more I could do with it.... something with it on fabric... I am a fiber artist, right? :-)
First, I thought up this simple, little poem. I typed it out, chose a great font and messed with it a little bit. Then I printed it on a piece of fabric. After it dried, I over-dyed it to make it look vintage. A good pressing, set all the dye.
Next, I traced my Corn Cockle from my journal onto a another piece of fabric. I played around with the dyes like they were watercolors and "painted" my flower all over again.
I appliqued the flower to my background piece with the poem and layered it with batting and backing so I could quilt it. I traced the Corn Cockle again and used it as a stencil for the shadow quilting. Lastly, I "bound" the edges with jute.
The entire process was really fun, and I loved seeing it come together! The result is something totally different from my "norm".
So without further delay, here it is!
Here's a closeup to show some of the detail:
I'll keep you posted on my "experiments!"
Fiber artist, wife to a wonderful husband and mom to 2 awesome kids
All Alzheimer's Amazing A Texas Experience Batiks Batting Beauty Blessings Cards Challenge Christ Christmas Circle Cutter Classes Creativity Cute Daughter Donation Dyeing Embroidery Exhibit Experiments Fabric Fast Featherweight Felt Fiber Flashy Coneflower Flower Chain Free Motion Quilting Gallery Gelatin Printing Glowy Imagery Improvisational Piecing Inspiration Juried Show Lace Mess Needlework Carrier New New Ideas New Product New Technique New Year No Name Opportunity Oval Cutter Pattern Pieceful Nights Pieces Project Puppy Quiltcut Quilting Quilt Stores Refreshed Rotary Cutters Scraps Sewing Space Silk Spring Stamps Storage Sulky Tatting Tea Ponderings Tutorial Twirling Petals Vintage Sewing Machines When Language Meets Art White On White