Brightening Life with Creativity,
one day at a time...
Since moving to Colorado, I have had the opportunity to meet with fellow fiber
artists in a regional SAQA group once a month. We share ideas, give critiques, encourage and help each other pursue our creative endeavors.
This month, I offered to teach a technique that you might have seen on my blog
if you've been reading a while: Kool-Aid Dyeing.
We experimented with all sorts of fibers (even some that we didn't know what the fiber content was!)
and we combined mixing with some over-dyeing to see what kind of results we could get.
Any animal protein fiber works well with this technique, including wool, goat, alpaca, and even silk! Plant based and man-made fibers (cottons, polyester, etc.) may tint with the Kool-Aid or resist it altogether, so this technique is also a great way to "test" your fiber content.
Good results are easy to achieve, vibrant and deliciously fragrant!
And the best part?
This dyeing technique is safe!
Safe for yourself, safe to try with kids, safe for pets and safe for your pipes!
With so many chemical options available, it's nice to have an alternative that's affordable too!
I'd love to see what you come up with too!
Fabric dyer's tip:
Always have some supplies on hand, so when the mood strikes, you can have some fun!
This time, I cut some fat quarters of PFD fabric, gathered some dye recipes to make some rich, fall colors and tried some "new-to-me" fabric manipulations to achieve some different effects.
Here's what I came up with:
To get the rings, I used some left over rubber bands (very tiny!) from when
my son had braces and tied them around bb's.
For the fan, I rolled the fat quarter at an angle and then tied off sections
with the same itty bitty rubber bands.
To get some nice veining, (which may not be very visible in the picture...sorry about that), I soaked the PFD fabric and scrunched it up. I let it sit for a while, as I tended to the others and then put it in a low water immersion dye bath.
I repeated the veining process with the haystack dye, and in a way,
it almost looks like leather or suede.
For the cobalt grid, I fan-folded the fat quarters and tied them off in sections with the rubber bands and dipped them in the dye. For the record, I was actually a little disappointed with the color on this. I was aiming for a rich purple, but it just goes to show that
the dyeing process can be unpredictable. I got it over it though. :)
The color is still cool and depending on what it is next too, the purple does pop out.
So, I know what you're thinking.
"What is she going to make with those?"
I don't know! :)
I did give some to a crafting friend as a part of her birthday present,
but as for the rest, I'm not sure yet
But isn't that half the fun? :)
Fiber artist, wife to a wonderful husband and mom to 2 awesome kids
All Alzheimer's Amazing A Texas Experience Batiks Batting Beauty Blessings Cards Challenge Christ Christmas Circle Cutter Classes Creativity Cute Daughter Donation Dyeing Embroidery Exhibit Experiments Fabric Fast Featherweight Felt Fiber Flashy Coneflower Flower Chain Free Motion Quilting Gallery Gelatin Printing Glowy Imagery Improvisational Piecing Inspiration Juried Show Lace Mess Needlework Carrier New New Ideas New Product New Technique New Year No Name Opportunity Oval Cutter Pattern Pieceful Nights Pieces Project Puppy Quiltcut Quilting Quilt Stores Refreshed Rotary Cutters Scraps Sewing Space Silk Spring Stamps Storage Sulky Tatting Tea Ponderings Tutorial Twirling Petals Vintage Sewing Machines When Language Meets Art White On White