Brightening Life with Creativity,
one day at a time...
Fabric dyer's tip:
Always have some supplies on hand, so when the mood strikes, you can have some fun!
This time, I cut some fat quarters of PFD fabric, gathered some dye recipes to make some rich, fall colors and tried some "new-to-me" fabric manipulations to achieve some different effects.
Here's what I came up with:
To get the rings, I used some left over rubber bands (very tiny!) from when
my son had braces and tied them around bb's.
For the fan, I rolled the fat quarter at an angle and then tied off sections
with the same itty bitty rubber bands.
To get some nice veining, (which may not be very visible in the picture...sorry about that), I soaked the PFD fabric and scrunched it up. I let it sit for a while, as I tended to the others and then put it in a low water immersion dye bath.
I repeated the veining process with the haystack dye, and in a way,
it almost looks like leather or suede.
For the cobalt grid, I fan-folded the fat quarters and tied them off in sections with the rubber bands and dipped them in the dye. For the record, I was actually a little disappointed with the color on this. I was aiming for a rich purple, but it just goes to show that
the dyeing process can be unpredictable. I got it over it though. :)
The color is still cool and depending on what it is next too, the purple does pop out.
So, I know what you're thinking.
"What is she going to make with those?"
I don't know! :)
I did give some to a crafting friend as a part of her birthday present,
but as for the rest, I'm not sure yet
But isn't that half the fun? :)
Stumbling through the clearance isles of my local hobby store a few months ago, I found some small packets of solar reactive dye. Always one to try something new, (especially when it is super affordable! ) I purchased some and stashed them away in my supplies.
Over a few weeks, I did some research and found out this could really be fun for someone living in the Lone Star state because of the plethora of sunshine! I went back to the same hobby store and found more packets, in more colors, and even cheaper than they were before.
I bet you know where this story ends.......
Yes, you're right.....
I bought every....
But, don't worry. There were only 12 or so! ;)
Fast forward to a warm, fall day and a little bit of time to experiment. I cut some PFD fabric into two squares and a rectangle, gathered the dye packets I wanted to try, put on my grungies and got to it!
For a stable, contained work surface, I found an empty cardboard box and cut the top flaps off. In the pictures above, you can see how I used one flap to make a bridge for the bottom gap.
I used painter's tape to adhere the first fabric square to the bottom of the box.
If you don't have a roll of this tape in your supplies, I suggest you go get one.
I use it all the time!
For my first try, I chose a packet of Plum.
This dye reacts with any type of UV rays, but obviously bright, direct sunlight is best.
It also works very fast...
You have to work fast too!
I went to my garage where it was darker, spread the dye according to the package directions
and placed the fern leaves on top.
If you plan on trying this at home, be aware that the dye is ammonia based
and the odor is a bit strong!
It dissipated in the garage rather quickly though. Whew!
So after twenty minutes in the bright sunshine, here is the result! Pretty cool, huh?
On to another piece, and another packet of Plum.
There was a bit of curve to the fern branch and a little breeze, so this print didn't turn out as clear, but still pretty neat.
Ready for a change, I used the rectangle piece of fabric and two packets of Copper dye.
Even though the Copper prints are not as dramatic, I still like the look. In a way, they remind me of fossils.
I can envision them thread painted to exaggerate the detail, and maybe even with some bead work.
What do you think about them? Is this a technique you've tried before? I'd love to hear!
Fiber artist, wife to a wonderful husband and mom to 2 awesome kids
All Alzheimer's Amazing A Texas Experience Batiks Batting Beauty Blessings Cards Challenge Christ Christmas Circle Cutter Classes Creativity Cute Daughter Donation Dyeing Embroidery Exhibit Experiments Fabric Fast Featherweight Felt Fiber Flashy Coneflower Flower Chain Free Motion Quilting Gallery Gelatin Printing Glowy Imagery Improvisational Piecing Inspiration Juried Show Lace Mess Needlework Carrier New New Ideas New Product New Technique New Year No Name Opportunity Oval Cutter Pattern Pieceful Nights Pieces Project Puppy Quiltcut Quilting Quilt Stores Refreshed Rotary Cutters Scraps Sewing Space Silk Spring Stamps Storage Sulky Tatting Tea Ponderings Tutorial Twirling Petals Vintage Sewing Machines When Language Meets Art White On White