Brightening Life with Creativity,
one day at a time...
I can't believe how fast time is passing and how long it has been since I've posted...sorry about that! Sometimes life gets in the way of blogging! :)
Over the past few weeks I have completed some small projects, not really "artsy," but fun, none the less!
Here's what I've been up to:
I love Valentine's Day!
Over the past year and half, I've taught myself how to tat and I'm experimenting with ways to incorporate what I make into more than just doilies. For this decoration I used fabric scraps, 4 tatted hearts, ribbons, rick rack, beads, decorative threads, and stencils. I made it free standing by using a very stiff, fusible stabilizer in the middle. Fun!
A spunky sunflower pincushion!
You know the plastic caps from laundry detergent, I used one for the base! It gives the cushion a nice flat bottom and some stability. I first used my pinking shears on a green square of felt and then glued it into the cap. The square folded and twisted a bit during the process which gives the impression of leaves. :)
Next, I free cut petals out of scrap lemon yellow and light orange felt. Then I layered and glued them to the inside edges for the petals.
For some weight, I poured in some crushed walnut shells to the bottom of the felt lined cap.
I made the center by hand stitching a brown felt tube. I gathered one end, turned it right side out and then stuffed it with polyester fiber fill. I stitched it closed and then glued it into the center of the petals and down into the cap. I love how it turned out!
It seemed like a "tablet" kind of Christmas at our house!
To protect these little tech gizmos, I started making covers. To begin, I took some measurements, made a freezer paper pattern and used stiff fusible stabilizer in between two pieces of fabric. I free-motioned random squiggle designs and then added elastic straps to hold the tablets in at the corners and across the top. I finished them off by binding them just like quilts and adding a hook and loop tape closure.
After I finished the first one, I decided to make quick, coordinating draw-string bags that are large enough to hold the tablet, a stylus and the charger so it would be easy to grab and go! Fun and useful!
And I think this might almost be the best part of every project I've shown you.....I didn't have to buy a single thing! Yes! You read that right! Not one thing! I used bits and pieces, scraps and tidbits from my stash and you'd never know it. I even managed a little recycling! :)
I'd love to see what you've been up to with your stash of supplies! Send me some pictures! :)
Do you participate in ornament exchanges? Or do you have people on your list that you need to make an ornament for? I usually have a dozen or so ornaments to make for people outside our immediate family. The challenge seems to be making them similar enough so I can work them up quickly, but different enough to show that I care.
Here's what I came up with this year....mittens!
I started out by drawing a simple mitten shape on a scrap of paper. I cut it out and sprayed the back with temporary spray adhesive. I pressed it on to the colorful felt scraps I had and carefully cut out 12 mittens.
Since felt is reversible, I flipped some over so they wouldn't all have the thumbs facing the same direction. After all there have to be right and left mittens! :)
Then I threaded a needle with some white crochet cotton and hand stitched a simple snowflake motif. I used large straight stitches and then french knots for the end points.
I knew I wanted to cover up the stitching on the back of each mitten and give them a little more heft, so I decided to sew them on to white felt. To make this easier, I laid out six mittens on a 9 x 12" piece of felt, allowing some space in between. I used white thread in top and bobbin and sewed them in place. I repeated the process with the other six mittens.
Next, I cut approximately 1/8" around each mitten so that each would have a white edge.
(No need to measure, I just eye-balled it!)
For the finishing touch, I took scraps from the white felt sheets and sewed on "cuffs" to each mitten. Depending on the colors of thread I had, some were sewn on using thread that matched the colored felt, while on others I had to use white. Cute either way!
The final step? Thread another piece of crochet cotton (about 6" long) and go through the entire mitten about 1/4" down from the top of the cuff. Tie a knot and that's all there is to it!
Have anyone on your list you'd like to make a mitten for? I'd be happy to give this fun and simple little pattern in PDF format to anyone who emails me. Happy Stitching! :)
Fiber artist, wife to a wonderful husband and mom to 2 awesome kids
All Alzheimer's Amazing A Texas Experience Batiks Batting Beauty Blessings Cards Challenge Christ Christmas Circle Cutter Classes Creativity Cute Daughter Donation Dyeing Embroidery Exhibit Experiments Fabric Fast Featherweight Felt Fiber Flashy Coneflower Flower Chain Free Motion Quilting Gallery Gelatin Printing Glowy Imagery Improvisational Piecing Inspiration Juried Show Lace Mess Needlework Carrier New New Ideas New Product New Technique New Year No Name Opportunity Oval Cutter Pattern Pieceful Nights Pieces Project Puppy Quiltcut Quilting Quilt Stores Refreshed Rotary Cutters Scraps Sewing Space Silk Spring Stamps Storage Sulky Tatting Tea Ponderings Tutorial Twirling Petals Vintage Sewing Machines When Language Meets Art White On White