Brightening Life with Creativity,
one day at a time...
I'm anticipating a busy weekend, but I wanted to wish you a
Here is a bunny I sculpted out of Paperclay.
When he dried, I painted him with acrylics and
then glued all of the pieces together.
I had never tried Paperclay before, but I really like it!
This little guy is VERY light, but still feels durable.
It accepted the paint and glue well and
I plan on using it again for some more projects soon. :)
I hope all of your projects are hopping along and
that you have the opportunity to go outside and sniff some flowers! :)
In the last post, I promised to show some of the things I had been working on, and I'm keeping my promise!
There are three young ladies who are good friends with my daughter and I wanted to make something personalized for them.
These work up fairly quickly and are easy to add details that reflect the receiver's personality. :)
Best part? They're refillable with the composition style notebooks available just about everywhere.
This one features dark plum (Emmalie's favorite) with an ecru Jacobean print. The 4 lace pieces are probably about 50 years old and were in my stash. I free-motioned the initial.
Blue is Jenna's favorite color and I happened to have a scrap of batik left over from a dress I made for my daughter a few years ago.
The off set, aqua ribbon helps draw the eye to the initial which I stenciled and then filled in with free motion stitching using silver metallic and holographic thread.
The metal accents are actually little locking washers that I picked up at the local home improvement store. They look like gears, don't they? I hand stitched those in place.
Molly loves turquoise and yellow and in fact just redecorated her room in those colors!
The initial is stenciled with a turquoise fabric marker on a scrap of white-on-white fabric with stars.
I stitched the square down with yellow thread and then lightly free motioned it to add some more color.
The silver stars are applied with a "hot fix" tool.
My good friend, Lora, has a favorite flower that I had never heard of before meeting her...the ranunculus!
I have seen them, but I think I must have thought they were some sort of heirloom rose. :)
Lora has fond memories of ranunculus blooms in her grandmother's garden and says she has never managed to get one to grow here in the Lone Star state, so I thought I would make her one instead. :)
I used my hand-dyed fabrics for the background, leaves and center, while the actual "petals" of the flower are made from store bought cotton. The stem is stitched with a Sulky Blendable.
Using tiny alphabet stamps with a brown fabric marker, I formed the word "ranunculus" and then stitched the label in place.
My latest project?
Rearranging my sewing area! :) Spring cleaning seems so cliche, but I do love reorganizing!
What are you working on?
Fiber artist, wife to a wonderful husband and mom to 2 awesome kids
All Alzheimer's Amazing A Texas Experience Batiks Batting Beauty Blessings Cards Challenge Christ Christmas Circle Cutter Classes Creativity Cute Daughter Donation Dyeing Embroidery Exhibit Experiments Fabric Fast Featherweight Felt Fiber Flashy Coneflower Flower Chain Free Motion Quilting Gallery Gelatin Printing Glowy Imagery Improvisational Piecing Inspiration Juried Show Lace Mess Needlework Carrier New New Ideas New Product New Technique New Year No Name Opportunity Oval Cutter Pattern Pieceful Nights Pieces Project Puppy Quiltcut Quilting Quilt Stores Refreshed Rotary Cutters Scraps Sewing Space Silk Spring Stamps Storage Sulky Tatting Tea Ponderings Tutorial Twirling Petals Vintage Sewing Machines When Language Meets Art White On White