Brightening Life with Creativity,
one day at a time...
Hope you have some exciting plans for the New Year!
I decided to begin the year by experimenting with dyeing some cotton batting scraps. At left, the background is actually a plain piece of cotton batting so you can see the "before" color. I used a similar process to how I dye my fabric and I am pleased with how saturated the colors came out. The lower two pieces show some visual texture which is a result of how the batting soaked up the dye.
This photo shows the back of the darker purple piece in the picture above. I think it is interesting how the the grid pattern appeared as it absorbed the dye. All of the pieces I dyed have this effect to some extent, but this was the best example. When this batting is made, it goes through a bonding process and I believe that this grid forms as a result, but that it is usually unnoticeable. Some more great visual texture though!
Fiber artist, wife to a wonderful husband and mom to 2 awesome kids
All Alzheimer's Amazing A Texas Experience Batiks Batting Beauty Blessings Cards Challenge Christ Christmas Circle Cutter Classes Creativity Cute Daughter Donation Dyeing Embroidery Exhibit Experiments Fabric Fast Featherweight Felt Fiber Flashy Coneflower Flower Chain Free Motion Quilting Gallery Gelatin Printing Glowy Imagery Improvisational Piecing Inspiration Juried Show Lace Mess Needlework Carrier New New Ideas New Product New Technique New Year No Name Opportunity Oval Cutter Pattern Pieceful Nights Pieces Project Puppy Quiltcut Quilting Quilt Stores Refreshed Rotary Cutters Scraps Sewing Space Silk Spring Stamps Storage Sulky Tatting Tea Ponderings Tutorial Twirling Petals Vintage Sewing Machines When Language Meets Art White On White