Brightening Life with Creativity,
one day at a time...
I've been wanting to branch out and try some new things with my art for a while now, and while 2014 slipped away and 2015 rushed in, that's just what I did! If you've been reading my last few posts, you've seen bits and pieces of my experimentation, but here is the final outcome:
Just as the cone flower provides
nourishment to the butterfly,
our lives are often brimming
with changes that help us grow
and develop into who we are meant to be.
I used several layers of different fibers to create this piece: hand-dyed cotton, satin ribbon, tulle, Angelina fibers, Mul-tex and Kraft-tex. The caterpillar, cocoon and butterfly images are water colored onto the Mu-tex and then sewn down on to the Kraft-tex. I bonded the Angelina fibers together to create enough material to cut out the cone flower petals. Despite all of the different fibers, I wasn't satisfied, so I added some metal findings for added interest and to give it more of a mixed-media feel.
I may not "change my ways" altogether, but the experimenting is fun and provides a new set of challenges and skills to master. What are you busy creating? I'd love to see!
For my latest fiber art piece, I challenged myself to use some new materials and layering to create some interesting visual texture. After going through my stash of fabrics and ribbons, (which you saw in my previous post) I realized that I didn't have everything I was looking for. Some things I was going to have to create.
I pulled out my roll of white kraft-tex and my super speedy circle cutter from Alto's and in a matter of a couple of minutes, I had 3 circles ready to use. Since the kraft-tex is fairly stiff by itself, I didn't need to use any stabilizer!
I knew I wanted to experiment with some spray dyeing on the kraft-tex, so I mixed up some honey gold dye in a spray bottle. Next, I grabbed an old towel, a blank piece of PFD (prepared for dyeing) fabric, my three kraft-tex circles and a plastic stencil of gears.
I put the old towel down on the counter with the PDF fabric on top. Then I layered the circles and the stencil on top. I decided that the over-spray from the circles would create some neat texture on the fabric and I was right!
After I was satisfied with the circles, I put them aside to dry and used the stencil on the fabric. I layered and sprayed, and layered and sprayed. I really like the effect! Not only did I add some interest to the plain white circles, I surface designed a great piece of background fabric at the same time!; nothing is wasted!
I bet you're wondering what happened to the circles! :) Well, they did get used as a layer in my latest fiber art piece. You'll have to come back and see it all put together next time! ;)
Fiber artist, wife to a wonderful husband and mom to 2 awesome kids
All Alzheimer's Amazing A Texas Experience Batiks Batting Beauty Blessings Cards Challenge Christ Christmas Circle Cutter Classes Creativity Cute Daughter Donation Dyeing Embroidery Exhibit Experiments Fabric Fast Featherweight Felt Fiber Flashy Coneflower Flower Chain Free Motion Quilting Gallery Gelatin Printing Glowy Imagery Improvisational Piecing Inspiration Juried Show Lace Mess Needlework Carrier New New Ideas New Product New Technique New Year No Name Opportunity Oval Cutter Pattern Pieceful Nights Pieces Project Puppy Quiltcut Quilting Quilt Stores Refreshed Rotary Cutters Scraps Sewing Space Silk Spring Stamps Storage Sulky Tatting Tea Ponderings Tutorial Twirling Petals Vintage Sewing Machines When Language Meets Art White On White